TULSA, Oklahoma – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma (BCBSOK) members will have access to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and prescribed by health providers. Effective immediately, BCBSOK will not require preauthorization and will not apply members’ copays or deductibles for testing to diagnose COVID-19 when medically necessary and consistent with CDC guidelines.
“We are committed to helping our members, employer customers and our own employees stay informed about COVID-19 and assisting those who might be affected,” said Dr. Joseph Cunningham, president of BCBSOK. “We are closely monitoring developments of COVID-19 and stand ready to assist doctors, hospitals and federal, state and local public health organizations in serving our members, our community and employees.”
BCBSOK members who have questions about their coverage should call the number on the back of their ID card.
The CDC is also offering testing at no cost and recommends these actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Stay home when you are sick;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe; and
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma
For nearly 80 years, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma has been committed to meeting the health care financing needs of Oklahomans. As the state's oldest and largest private health insurer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma provides health care benefit plans for more than 800,000 Oklahomans. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma is a division of Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.