Help FEP Members Take In-home Colorectal Cancer Screening Test
Some Federal Employee Program® (FEP) members received the Fecal Immunochemical Test (FOBT/FIT) for colorectal cancer screening and Hemoglobin A1c in-home test kits at their homes in November 2017. Recipients received the kits based on claims data submitted to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma (BCBSOK). Members were identified for possible participation in this program if they had a diagnosis of diabetes and did not have a claim for Hemoglobin A1c testing and/or had no claim history of colorectal cancer screening.
FEP members received a letter in November 2017 from BCBSOK about the test kits and an option to opt out of the program and decline the test kits. If an FEP member did not opt out of the program, the following two tests were sent to the member:
- FIT test for colorectal cancer screenings
- A1C test for blood sugar control for diabetes
Once returned, the tests are processed by the Home Access Health Corporation. There is no additional cost to members to participate in this program.
Home Access Health Corporation is an independent company that provides laboratory testing and will send results via mail to both the member and the member’s primary care physician (PCP) indicated on the form sent back with the kit. BCBSIL’s goal is to help make the process easier for members to complete these tests in the comfort of their own homes.
You can help by doing the following:
- Encourage your patients to take these tests if they receive the letter and advise your patients that, after taking the tests, they should return them in the prepaid postage envelope.
- Reiterate to your patients that they should provide your name and mailing address, along with their sample, so you will also receive the test results.
- Be on the lookout for these test results so you can place them into the members’ records and be prepared to follow up on any alert values received from Home Access Health Corporation.
If you have any questions or if you need additional information, please contact your assigned BCBSOK Provider Network Representative. Members may call the Customer Service number listed on their ID card to ask questions or obtain assistance.
The above material is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician. Physicians and other health care providers are encouraged to use their own best medical judgment based upon all available information and the condition of the patient in determining the best course of treatment.