Clarification of COVID-19 Testing
As students head back to school and employees move back into offices, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma (BCBSOK) is clarifying our coverage of COVID-19 testing.
BCBSOK will continue to cover the cost of diagnostic testing services, with no cost to the member, if they:
- Meet primary coverage criteria for COVID-19 as defined by the CDC and CMS public health service response, or
- Are determined medically necessary in situations where it is not covered as part of the public health service response.
BCBSOK does not intend to cover the cost of non-medically necessary testing such as:
- Screenings for general school or workplace health and safety.
- Public health surveillance for SARS-CoV-2.
- Any other purpose not primarily intended for individualized diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19 is not covered.
Note: Testing performed for the above non-medically necessary situations should not be billed to BCBSOK.
If you have any questions regarding this publication, please Email provider inquiries or call the Provider Contract Support Unit at 800-722-3730, Option 2.